Ah winter, you strike again! We were gifted a warm (44 degree) day on Saturday. I couldn’t help but smile and think of chirping birds and sundresses as I watched the snow melt away. Spring was finally in sight!
But then, Octorara Orphie (our local Groundhog representative) peaked his head up from the frozen ground on Sunday morning and declared six more weeks of winter. Today, we woke up to another snow day. As I type this our yard is once again being blanketed by a fresh layer 5-8 inches of snow and I’m snowed in once again.
Like the majority of America, I am sick of snow. Sick of being cold. Sick of winter. Yet, I’m trying to make the most of being snowed in and have been cooking a lot and falling in love with my kitchen appliances…
I’m having a serious love affair with my crock pot this winter. I’ve been trying out countless chili recipes – you can’t beat the healthy, warm, and filling combination of beans and vegetables while bundled up on the couch.
After trying all sorts of ingredients I have finally fine tuned a favorite – Tex Mex Ranch Chicken Chili.This low in fat and extremely filling meal is perfect to make on Sunday nights, leaving lots of leftovers for lunches. Be sure to add or substitute your favorite vegetables.
Tex Mex Ranch Chicken Chili
- 3 Cups grilled chicken breasts
- 1 Can Chili beans
- 1 Can pinto beans
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 Can corn
- 1 diced zucchini
- 1 diced yellow squash
- 1 Package mild taco seasoning
- 1 Package ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 Can tomato paste
- Cook the chicken breast and shred into small pieces. Place in the crock pot.
- Cut up zucchini and yellow squash and place in the crock pot.
- Place all beans, corn, and tomato paste into the crock pot with all their juices! (do not drain!!)
- Mix in the taco seasoning and the ranch dressing seasoning.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and cook on low for 3.5 hours
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings! (I like a little shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado!)
Stay warm and chant with me “spring is around the corner, spring is around the corner!”