Ah, the perfect side dish for a cold winter night. Let’s not forget all of the benefits that Butternut Squash, a “power food” provides.
Benefits of Butternut Squash:
- 1/2 of your daily amount of vitamin C
- LOW in fat and HIGH in dietary fiber
- High in potassium for bone health
- High in Vitamin B6, important for the nervous and immune systems
- Full of powerhouse nutrients known as carotenoids that protects your heart against heart disease
- High levels of beta-carotene, which helps prevent breast cancer and age-related macular degeneration, as well as a supporter of healthy lung development in fetuses and newborns.
Now that we can all see how amazing this squash is for you, let’s get on to the dish! This recipe makes me feel all warm and cozy inside, blame it on the maple syrup! I think it would also be a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving of Christmas, too!
Ingredients:One whole butternut Squash 2/3 cup Maple Syrup 1 cup chopped Pecans 1 Tbsp butter, margarine 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel, seed, and dice the butternut squash. Place the diced squash in a greased baking dish. Toss with 2 tbsp of maple syrup.
3. Roast the squash for 40-45 minutes
4. While the squash is roasting, prepare the glaze. Melt 1 tbsp of butter on a small pan. Add in the syrup. Whisk until the two bubble. Now add in the cinnamon.
5. Continue to whisk as you add in the chopped pecans. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is very “gooey”
6. Remove the topping from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
7. Remove the butternut squash from the oven and top with the maple pecan glaze. Serve warm.
Ta da! Yummy warm gooenyness. This is a new comfort food dish! What are some of your favorite butternut squash recipes?
On a different side note – I have a little exciting news! I was nominated for “Most Inspiring Blog Post” over at My So-Called Chaos best in blogging awards!!!
I was so shocked/happy to be nominated for my post “Stop Apologizing”. If you would like to support A Beautiful Little Adventure and love inspiriational posts help a girl out and go over and vote for me! (I’m featured in the “Most Inspirational Post” section about 3/4 down in the voting poll)
You don’t know how happy this made me, writing those types of posts are my favorite and make my heart sing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!