Today I turn 31 and like any good writer I’m sitting here reflecting on my last year. This is the year I got married, starting to feel a little physically older, and grew more comfortable with myself – body and mind. I thought I’d share a fun little list of 31 things I’ve learned in my 31 years.
31 Lessons in 31 Years
1. Don’t make assumptions. You rarely know the full story.
2. Befriend your parents. It’s a once in a lifetime relationship and a friendship that will teach you the most.
3. Success is always in the eye of the beholder.
4. Take time for you. It’s not a selfish behavour. Take care of yourself and your happiness.
5. The cheaper the wine the worse the headache.
6. It’s okay to make mistakes. At least you’re doing something – like learning.
7. A dog can heal your soul.
8. Pause. You don’t have to make a decision immediately.
9. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else is.
10. A nap can fix a great number of things.
11. I’m not a career woman. My job doesn’t define me and never will.
12. Never say never.
13. Not everyone has to like you. Stop trying to please them and stop apologizing for what makes you happy.
14. Style has nothing to do with fashion.
15. Love is all around.
16. Be present. Listen with 100% of your body.
17. Family is everything.
18. Sometimes you just have to know when to say, “I give up” and pour yourself a drink. It’s okay.
19. Forgiveness is both the most hardest but most rewarding thing.
20. You have to create your own happiness.
21. 99% of people aren’t paying any attention to you.
22. Expensive shoes and accessories are worth it.
23. Never miss a chance to say “I Love You”.
24. Nourish and feed your body well. It’s a vessel not a trash can.
25. Truly focus on the select few things that you are good at.
26. Respond to phone calls, letters, texts, and emails. Even if there is no question, if someone reached out to you, respond.
27. You don’t have to look amazing at all times. Relax.
28. Use your voice. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind.
29. Don’t compare, there is always someone smarter, richer, prettier, and “happier” but there is no one else just like you.
30. No one ever has it figured all out, but each day is a fresh start at trying your best.
31. When you have the oppurtunity to dance, dance. Even if you look stupid, you’ll always have more fun than if you stayed in the corner.
Now eat an ice cream sundae and toast with some champagne with me. Cheers!