This week has both flown by and dragged on. I kept myself busy with friend dates, hosting a dinner party, “back to school” shopping, and sitting by the pool. Although I took on a little more relaxed blogging schedule this summer, I”m getting into the “back to school” mindset and have the urge to get back to posting.
So, I’d like to invite you to sit down and have a chat with me. And because this is a blog and you can only talk back in the comments, (and PLEASE do, I love having conversations with you all) you’ll just be listening to me ramble about what’s going on in my mind today. Isn’t that how blogs started in the first place?
- I’m so relieved we survived the first week of Ryan’s final year. I checked the “days until graduation” countdown about 50 times this week. If you know me at all, you’ll know I’m not kidding. You may think I”m being overly dramatic about this whole thing and tired of hearing about it. So let’s move on to another topic…
- So in less serious talk I am SO immensely disappointed in the True Blood series finale. (stop reading here and jump down the the next bullet if you have no desire to hear me ramble on about a HBO show). Yes, yes, the show has gone down hill in the past few years, but THIS is how the writers choose to end it? They leave us with this little fairytale ending? Barf! And all that sexist wedding talk and how Bill insisted he “give” Jess away. Also, why was it okay for a vampire to marry a human when it was Jess and Hoyt but Sookie and Bill couldn’t get married? I’ll tell you why, because Sookie wants babies and Jess can’t have them. That’s all it came down to. So, this show, which is so open to all other sorts of relationships and specialness couldn’t be open to Sookie having a baby in any sort of way and then still living romantically happy with Bill? No. Of course Bill had to die, I get that. This has always been Sookie’s story. But I can’t imagine that simply because Bill died, that not only she, but the whole remaining population of Bon Temps gets a happy fairytale ending? I couldn’t take it! Also no love for Lafayette? My favorite character did not get a single damn line in the whole 70 minute finale! Ugh, rant over.
- Speaking of TV, we watched the first two seasons of Orphan Black this summer. AHamzing! I wasn’t sure if I would like it since it seemed to be more sci-fi than I typically like. But it was so addicting! Both seasons are currently on Comcast OnDemand, I highly recommend it. Tatiana Maslany is so talented.
- Now that Ryan is busy with school again, I get full control of the remote! There are quite a few movies and TV shows that I’ve been putting aside to watch again. I just started Call The Midwife and already love it! Can’t wait to get in my girly shows this year.
- I had some friends over for dinner on Wednesday night, and one friend brought watermelon, mozzarella, and basil bites. Yep, caprese but with watermelon instead of tomato! I’d never think of that combo myself but they were delicious.
- We’re headed up to my friend’s lake house for the Labor Day holiday and I can’t wait to get one more waterfront celebration in before summer officially closes up her doors. Wait, I take that back, we’re headed to the beach in September too…
- But seriously, why is everyone so excited for Fall? I can’t scroll through instagram for more than 10 seconds without seeing 15 Pumpkin Spice Latte’s and everyone’s gabbing about scarves and boots. I still feel like the longest winter known to man just ended. Let’s hold off on starting it all again. It’s still summer until September 22. Enjoy it.
- This time of year always fills me with memories of back to school shopping and anxiety of the first day. This is a hilarious read comparing back to school in the 1970’s to back to school today: http://widelawns.blogspot.com/
- And amidst all this “Back to School” talk I’m itching for something new. I’m ready for some kind of change or just something new to get excited about. I’ve been filling up our Fall weekends with fun trips and things to look forward to. This year is going to be a good one!
- What are you doing for the long weekend? Join me on instagram and let’s celebrate the unofficial end of summer together!