One of the best things about summer is the plethora of fresh veggies at farm stands.
The other week I picked up a huge eggplant for $1.00 and I decided to try a new recipe. Unfortunately a lot of eggplant recipes include tomatoes or tomato sauce (which I cannot eat). So I decided to experiment a bit.
That is how I ended up with this gooey, mouth-watering eggplant and spinach white lasagna. It was easy and supplied Ryan and I with meals for about 3 days! Plus we got our fill of veggies.
- One large eggplant
- 8 ounces of spinach
- 1 box of ready to bake lasagna noodles
- 8 oz of ricotta cheese
- Jar of Alfredo sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of basil
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Spray a 13×9 baking dish and set aside
- Cut the eggplant in 1/2 inch thick circles and bake for 20 minutes
- While the eggplant is baking mix together the ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, basil, and black pepper in a large bowl
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with a small layer of Alfredo sauce
- Then lie down the first layer of the lasagna noodles
- Next comes a layer of the baked eggplant circles
- Now smear a nice layer of the cheese and spinach mixture on top of the eggplant
- Place another layer of the lasagna noodles and repeat the above layers again
- Repeat the layers a third time (or until you run out of ingredients)
- Sprinkle the top of the lasagna with the remaining cheddar cheese
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
How do you like to prepare eggplant?