Summer, the perfect season to eat healthy, when fresh veggies and fruit spring up all over and can be purchased cheaply.
Right now, zucchini are on sale at my town’s farmer’s markets for 5 for $1. With an abundance of zucchini on hand and a stomach that is so tired of zucchini bread I decided to experiment with a new recipe.
Pesto Quinoa Zucchini Boats!
What You Need:
5 medium to large zucchini
1 cup of quinoa
2 tablespoons of pesto
2 tablespoons of reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
1. Using a spoon, carve the zucchini into “boats”. Scoop out the seedy section making enough of a bowl to stuff with your quinoa mixture.
2. Bake the plain zucchini in the oven (preheated to 325 degrees) for 25 minutes or until they are soft.
3. Meanwhile, prepare your quinoa on your stove top.
4. Once the quinoa is ready and fluffed, mix in your pesto and cream cheese. Stir generously.
5. Remove the zucchini boats from the oven, fill them with the quinoa mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
6. Place zucchini boats back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes until the cheese melts.
What else do you like to make with zucchini? I’d love to try other new recipes.